With knowledge is power, with knowledge is more options and with knowledge is flexibility. I believe that with type one diabetes, we shouldn’t have to tie ourselves down to a structure with exercise or lifestyle simply because it works for our blood sugar. We should have the options in front of us to make it work for us and our bodies, our goals and our preferences.
Inside this episode, I’m diving deep into blood sugar and exercise far beyond the oversimplification of “bring a juice box” so you can finally have interruption-free workouts. I’m going to give you the three biggest things I learned in my personal training certification that I’ve applied to my diabetes and exercise journey.
Here’s whats inside today’s episode:
– How diabetes influenced my relationship with my body and exercise
– How I went from taking oversimplified advice to being strategic around my daily workouts
– A good workout is not defined by the absence of a low blood sugar
– There are four key components of your workout to understand to optimize your blood sugars
– Manipulating your blood sugars vs manipulating the variables.
– Apply for the Skin Grip Diabetes Scholarship
– Join the Chronic & Strong Challenge!
- ⏰ (0:25): Skin Grip Scholarship – Apply or contribute
- ⏰ (2:57): Welcome back to Keeping it 100 Radio!
- ⏰ (3:30): Today’s topic: Exercise & Diabetes
- ⏰ (3:55): I grew up as a gymnast…
- ⏰ (7:35): My Diabetes diagnosis
- ⏰ (8:22): The first thing my end taught me about exercise and diabetes
- ⏰ (11:57): I ended up with zero answers. Because when I would bring my questions to my endo, I was met with really oversimplified answers
- ⏰ (12:35): This led me to get my personal training certification
- ⏰ (20:08): I’m going to take you through the top three things that I learned in my certification that can help break down the barriers of exercise for you as well
- ⏰ (14:55): First Key Pillar – Mindset Shifting
- ⏰ (19:18): Second Key Pillar – the science component of exercise.
- ⏰ (19:58): Variable 1 – Intensity
- ⏰ (27:24): Variable 2 – The meal before
- ⏰ (29:11): Variable 3 – Timing
- ⏰ (31:07): Variable 4 – Length of the workout
- ⏰ (31:37): Third Key Pillar – Manipulate the movement instead of manipulating your blood sugars
- ⏰ (33:30): Recap
- ⏰ (34:25): Invitation to the second annual Chronic & Strong Challenge
- ⏰ (38:45): Thanks for tuning in
Disclaimer: Nothing inside of Keeping it 100 Radio or our resources is intended as medical advice. Always consult a physician before making changes to your insulin doses, diet or general wellness.