Welcome back to Keeping it 100 Radio! Today we’re talking all things type one pregnancy. There can be a lot of fear-based tactics to motivate type ones into better blood sugar control for pregnancy, but Piper believes in a different approach.
Inside today’s episode, we learn from Piper Backholm all about why traditional approaches to lowering your A1C before pregnancy don’t work, what to focus on when going on a TTC journey and all of the ins and outs of what to expect during the nine months of pregnancy.
– Find Piper on Instagram
– Register for Piper’s Pregnancy Course
Thank you for Skin Grip for sponsoring this episode! Save on your next pack of patches by using code “LISSIE” at checkout
- ⏰ (1:03): This week’s guest…
- ⏰ (2:43): Do you mind introducing yourself?
- ⏰ (4:26): What got you on to that approach of integrating more whole foods into your own lifestyle?
- ⏰ (6:48): Do you mind speaking more on your diagnosis and how it was to go from growing up with this; living with T1D for 20+ years, to now having your own child and going through that experience of having your health now impacting somebody else as well?
- ⏰ (10:12): Were these questions that you went to your doctors with?
- ⏰ (12:43): Were there other people that you brought into your journey at that point?
- ⏰ (14:40): So for somebody listening who might not know the difference between their regular health care provider, endocrinologist and somebody who works in the naturopathic or holistic realm, how did they approach those appointments differently? What did you get out of that, that maybe you didn’t from your regular physician?
- ⏰ (18:42): Can you speak more to the difference that you felt in your journey from living that standard American diet to focusing on micronutrients and the holistic perspective?
- ⏰ (23:22): Were there any fears going into pregnancy or misconceptions that you didn’t know more about? Like those common myths that we’re taught about diabetes and pregnancy?
- ⏰ (28:35): So for your clients that come to you, do you notice that a lot of these maybe first time moms generally have a lot of fear? Or like what are the common roadblocks that stop people from wanting to or make them scared of pregnancy or having a family?
- ⏰ (33:32): If you were talking to someone who may be looking to get pregnant in the next 3-5 years, and they’re looking at all the kind of misconceptions that are given online or the recommendations or fears that people hav, what would you tell them being on the other side of it? What would you want them to hear instead?
- ⏰ (39:15): How would you describe that experience to anybody who’s kind of trying to prepare or get more real insight into the journey of pregnancy; from preparation (lowering A1C, etc) to the hills and valleys of insulin resistance and insulin sensitivity during pregnancy?
- ⏰ (44:24): So looking a little bit into the pregnancy journey, again, you know, SparkNotes version, how can you prepare somebody for the nine months? I know that there’s different sensitivity and resistance levels, just kind of how somebody might prepare and looking to maybe understand the trends that might be coming their way?
- ⏰ (51:31): Let’s talk about how you support type one woman in the pregnancy journey and how people can find more about you and what you do, because obviously, there’s just so much more than can fit into an hour long podcast episode.
– T1D Pregnancy Course
- ⏰(53:21): Thank you!
Disclaimer: Nothing inside of Keeping it 100 Radio or our resources is intended as medical advice. Always consult a physician before making changes to your insulin doses, diet or general wellness.