Building muscle with type 1 diabetes, what is there to know? We all know there are a lot of factors to consider with exercise and blood sugar management, but what about when it comes to actually seeing results?
Meet Anthony Baklouk. Anthony is a fitness trainer with his bachelors in Health Science. He’s been training clients in person and online for the past 8 years inside his private training and meal prepping company, Baklouk Training. He helps his clients get Bak on Track so they can achieve their goals and sustain them long term through weight training and addressing daily habits. Although Anthony does not live with T1D himself, he has been my and my fiance’s trainer for the last 2.5 years and he’s taught us everything we know about gaining muscle, which is why I wanted to bring him onto the show.
Inside this episode, Anthony and I sit down to discuss the foundations of building muscle, where most people get it wrong and how to get started in your own journey.
- ⏰ (1:07): Introducing today’s guest
- ⏰ (1:40): What got you into the fitness space?
- ⏰ (4:08): Who do you mostly train?
- ⏰ (4:40): When people say they want to ‘get toned’, what do they mean vs. what does that actually mean?
- ⏰ (6:24): Why is it hard for people to do this on their own?
- ⏰ (8:40): Outside of going to the gym, what else are you focusing on with your clients that make your approach sustainable?
- ⏰ (10:58): What are the basics of building muscle?
- ⏰ (12:40): What are some easy ways to amp up protein?
- ⏰ (14:41): With the lifting component, you mentioned hitting each muscle group throughout the week, what are the main muscle groups you are referring to?
- ⏰ (15:44): Anthony talks about how I’ve taught him a lot more about dealing with people with T1D
- ⏰ (17:27): Taking in the cycle component
- ⏰ (19:31): Going back to the nutrition piece – are there other important components for muscle growth in those other macronutrients?
- ⏰ (21:55): Is there anything else that you encourage for your clients for that optimal performance/results?
- ⏰ (24:00): Realistic timeline of results
- ⏰ (25:35): Can you explain more about the advice we hear online of “I need to go into a deficit to lose weight or lose fat”? Why doesn’t that work, or does it?
- ⏰ (28:00): What is the one piece of advice you would give someone wanting to start their fitness journey?
- ⏰ (27:56): Who do you work with and where can people find you?
Resources for this episode:
*Disclaimer: Nothing inside of Keeping it 100 Radio or our resources is intended as medical advice. Always consult a physician before making changes to your insulin doses, diet or general wellness.